Losing a tooth because of decay or gum disease can be distracting and traumatizing. No one wants to walk around with gaps in their smile. Missing teeth also pose a threat to your overall health.
There is a state-of-the-art way to fix your missing teeth: dental implants. At Oregon City Family Dentistry, we use dental implants to replace missing teeth. Dental implants can fill in the gaps of your smile, give you better chewing power, and perhaps best of all, give you the confidence to smile and eat in public. But that’s just the tip of the iceberg.
Here are my 5 facts you need to know about dental implants.
1. Dental implants preserve your jawbone. When patients lose their teeth, the jawbone begins to recede. Without your natural teeth secured in the jawbone, the bone will recede. This process changes the shape of your teeth. Patients with missing teeth or removable dentures often experience this physical change over time. Changes in the jawbone will cause your healthy remaining teeth to shift. If you have an oral appliance like a denture, your jawbone is not secure and will change forms. Dental implants are made from titanium and fuse with your jawbone through a process known as osseointegration. When the implant merges with the jawbone, it can be restored with a single dental implant, bridge, or denture.
2. Dental implants are extremely strong. Implants are by far the best option for replacing missing teeth. You may think that’s bias, but the facts are indisputable. There is nothing better than your natural teeth. Your teeth are incredibly strong and durable. Dental implants nearly mimic the power and function of your natural teeth. They have about 90 percent of the power of natural teeth. By comparison, removable dentures only have about 35 percent of the power of natural teeth. With dental implants, you can eat the food you want again. No more food restrictions.
3. Dental implants can improve your overall health. This is slightly attached to the last fact. Patients with removable dentures have a terrible time eating the food they love. The dentures slip or slide around, which makes it hard to get the nutrition you need. It’s simple, without the proper nutrition, it’s hard to maintain a healthy lifestyle. In fact, studies have found that people without teeth can reduce their lifespan for about 10 years.
4. Dental implants have a high success rate. Dental implants have been used in dentistry for decades. Like all things in medicine and dentistry, we have made great strides in the past 10 years. With the increase in technology and implant placement procedures, we can place dental implants with a more than 95 percent success rate. We can place dental implants on almost anyone. We just ask that you are in good overall health.
5. Dental implants are not invasive. People assume that getting dental implants is a painful or invasive process, but the truth is that the procedure is no more involved than a needing a filling or crown. Also, we don’t have to prepare any healthy teeth to support the implant. For people with single missing teeth, dentists often place dental bridges. A dental bridges literally close the gap caused by the missing tooth, but the big disadvantage is that the bridge is supported by teeth adjacent to the gap. Those teeth need to be shaven down for the appliance to fit properly. We don’t need to prepare any other teeth to place dental implants!
Our office can place dental implants for patients missing single teeth or entire arches of missing teeth. If you’re struggling with missing teeth, don’t wait to fix your problem. Call us today at 503-917-0523.
GET OUR FREE E-BOOK
Find out how implants can improve your life! Fill out the form for instant access.